Arcade
Go Back   Anime Take Forums > Manga & Light Novel > Manga Reviews
Reload this Page Psycho Busters
Manga Reviews Quality manga reviews here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
The Revolution Is Here
Darkchao45 I'm trustworthy. Trust me on this!Darkchao45 I'm trustworthy. Trust me on this!Darkchao45 I'm trustworthy. Trust me on this!Darkchao45 I'm trustworthy. Trust me on this!Darkchao45 I'm trustworthy. Trust me on this!Darkchao45 I'm trustworthy. Trust me on this!

Send a message via Skype™ to Darkchao45
Default Psycho Busters - 01-04-2013, 03:22 AM

Click the image to open in full size.
Past, present, and future.

Genre - Drama, School, Shounen, Supernatural

Length – 7 Volumes: 32 Chapters

Authors - Kibayashi, Shin (Story), Nao, Akinari (Art)

Run - 2006 - N/A

Serialization - N/A

Well we've all seen it before, the typical psychic escapees from a big bad research facility saving the world. Psycho Busters appears that way at first, and it stays true to that most of the time, but there's a bit more to it than just that. Psycho Busters starts as a rather typical manga. The story revolves around a group of 4 psychic teenagers who escaped an evil research facility that holds psychics captive for reasons revealed a few chapters into the story. The reason for them escaping, aside from wanted their freedom, is to meet up with a boy named Kakeru. According to the leader of the escaped group, Joi, Kakeru is vital to saving the world from destruction. The reason for this, and the world's impending doom is not revealed until later on.

Kakeru is a very typical teenage boy, the type you always see in anime and other Japanese media. Shy, rather timid and feminine, little self esteem, you know, that sort of thing. When his mom and sisters go on vacation and leave Kakeru home alone, Kakeru throws his own "home alone" party. At the core of things, he hopes for some excitement in his life, and boy does he get it. A naked "ghost girl" appears in his room asking for help. At first glance Kakeru is wary but decides to investigate. He arrives at an abandoned building where he is mistakenly attacked by one of the 4 escaped psychics. In that building he meets the "ghost girl", as well as the other psychics. They ask for his help in helping their leader who is in a deep sleep, more like hibernation actually. This sets the "gears" in motion, and turns Kakeru's boring life into a life and death adventure leading up to the destruction of the world...

The first couple of volumes were rather exciting, typical but exciting. Lots of action and some rather nicely used humor made for a good read. However, as I kept reading I started caring less and less about the main characters, the reason for this is the lack of development. Perhaps it was because of how fast paced the story was, but things were a bit too convenient at times. The mangaka essentially sacrificed proper character development for the sake of a more fast paced story, which to some extent works but makes the overall experience less enjoyable. There was some hints of romance, but nothing ever really happened beyond that, which is a shame because it would have strengthened the bonds between the characters, and would have overall just made the story better.

Kakeru admiring Ayano.

The story itself was pretty well done, like I already mentioned, lots of action, as well as some plot twists here and there. The artwork was pretty nice, nice crisp lines and character designs were on point. My only gripe is character development, had that been better this manga would have been so much better. Some of the powers displayed by the psychics were pretty cool. You have your typical fire starters, the telekinesis users, illusionists, and the time controllers. I think the way the powers, especially those of the time controllers, were explained and portrayed were great and on point. The mangaka did their homework on psychic abilities, which is nice. Overall, Psycho Busters is a decent read.

Art - (8/10) Plot - (7/10) Enjoyment - (7/10)

Overall
7/10

Note: I wish I could blow stuff up!

Thanks to everyone who made my sigs <3

Click and join if you likes teh K-Pop and anything related!
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

MAL

Playfire

tumblr

Last edited by Darkchao45; 01-04-2013 at 03:27 AM..
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Review Staff Leader
Amario People like me. :D

Default 01-04-2013, 12:37 PM

Good to see a new review from you in the manga section! xD
I absolutely loved this series although it has some cliche moments the romance is just adorable.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
The Revolution Is Here
Darkchao45 I'm trustworthy. Trust me on this!Darkchao45 I'm trustworthy. Trust me on this!Darkchao45 I'm trustworthy. Trust me on this!Darkchao45 I'm trustworthy. Trust me on this!Darkchao45 I'm trustworthy. Trust me on this!Darkchao45 I'm trustworthy. Trust me on this!

Send a message via Skype™ to Darkchao45
Default 01-05-2013, 05:50 AM

Yeah, it took me ages to finally finish this series though lol.

Thanks to everyone who made my sigs <3

Click and join if you likes teh K-Pop and anything related!

MAL

Playfire

tumblr