Arcade
Go Back   Anime Take Forums > Other > General Discussion
Reload this Page Drawing manga/fanpics/etc.
General Discussion Discussion related to anything

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
Dishonored
ZILtoid1991 newfag

Default Drawing manga/fanpics/etc. - 02-04-2013, 09:12 PM

I couldn't find a topic for this stuff, so I started one.

I started to draw manga recently. First I wanted to do it years ago but correct papers and ink were very expensive, I didn't have a backlighted table. Later I saw a vector drawing on a Facebook page, and this fired me up. I alreadily had ideas for stories, but I couldn't find a drawer. Inkscape (now CorelDRAW X6) gave me power and speed too, so I did things much faster than with hand (and nicer too). My first works were copyings, but I removed the clothes from them for fun (two pictures with IA and one with Yuzuki Yukari), now I doing my originals (alrought I'll still do some ecchi/hentai in the future).

I currently working on two mangas. The first one is Hi-Fi Amplifier Exodus, a Mecha/School life/Harem/general Japanese culture parody. The second one will be a very serious one, currently I having a hard time to create it's universe, character backgrounds, battle system, etc, so it'll start probably one or two years later.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Trainee
Muto newfag

Default 02-05-2013, 02:56 AM

nice projects. a small tip: have a look at manga studio from celsys/smithmicro, makes your job easier. second: get a drawing tablet, don't try with a mouse
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Dishonored
ZILtoid1991 newfag

Default 02-05-2013, 09:59 PM

I actually doing it with a mouse and I don't see the problem. Maybe because I use beziels instead of free hand stuff. Beziels emulate the French ruler used by traditional manga artists when finishing the end product. But this time I can go straight from the scretch to the final lines.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Trainee
Muto newfag

Default 02-06-2013, 12:31 AM

yeah, i saw your vector based approach, only few artists do so nowadays. The majority do manga in pixel or a mixed style. (assume you do vector only). Therefore i had recommended manga studio, you have both worlds.
about the tablet: My comment was exaggerated, of course there is no problem to work with a mouse but you can do easier with a tablet.for example less strain on your wrist, quick sketching and so on. Somehow i feel it's easier to have a pencil type workflow than a mouse type.
But that's my opinion, maybe it's just because i grow up using pencils (working in manga, vn, anime, cellpaint, story-boarding since 30 years, average 8h each day)

anyhow: thumbs up for your work, hope to see some of your drawings in the future.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Trainee
nothng2do newfag

Default 02-08-2013, 03:42 PM

i have some very good ideas for stories and universe and everything......but my drawing skills suck....really hard
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Dishonored
ZILtoid1991 newfag

Default 02-10-2013, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothng2do View Post
i have some very good ideas for stories and universe and everything......but my drawing skills suck....really hard
I currently struggling with too pointy chins, finding the correct ratios, and I can't draw feet. Never give up, instead try until it works. When you have some free time, get Inkscape or CorelDRAW (or some pencil and a papersheet), and practice. I cut my time spent on facebook (later I move out to get rid of the daily 5 hours travelling between my town and my college), and almost nothing else suffers. And yes, my handdrawing sucks a lot, maybe it'll fixed.
For starting import your favourite picture (manga/anime recommened first) as a background and outline it with vectors. Later you get better, faster, then you can start some original.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Trainee
nothng2do newfag

Default 02-10-2013, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZILtoid1991 View Post
I currently struggling with too pointy chins, finding the correct ratios, and I can't draw feet. Never give up, instead try until it works. When you have some free time, get Inkscape or CorelDRAW (or some pencil and a papersheet), and practice. I cut my time spent on facebook (later I move out to get rid of the daily 5 hours travelling between my town and my college), and almost nothing else suffers. And yes, my handdrawing sucks a lot, maybe it'll fixed.
For starting import your favourite picture (manga/anime recommened first) as a background and outline it with vectors. Later you get better, faster, then you can start some original.
hmmm that's a good idea.....i'm now considering to make a visual novel
i'll definitely start practicing from today...
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Gundam
Tennouji I'm trustworthy. Trust me on this!Tennouji I'm trustworthy. Trust me on this!

Default 02-11-2013, 01:48 PM

Paint Tool SAI is another great tool for digital art too.
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Trainee
Muto newfag

Default 02-11-2013, 06:36 PM

few years ago i would have recommended SAI. But SAI is dead, no development since 12/2008. It has a lot of problems with 64 bit systems, crashes sometimes on win7, crashes a lot on win8. The vector paint would need a lot of overhaul since SAI was original a raster based paintprogram. Modern tools are not implemented (afaik). And it has some problems with bigger files, sometimes it kills even the original.