Reload this Page [K-Drama] My Princess
Drama Discussion Drama Related Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
Giga Drill Breaker
Nygus newfag

Send a message via Yahoo to Nygus
Default [K-Drama] My Princess - 08-29-2011, 01:52 PM

Long overdue? Yes, that I am aware of but hey! Better late than never.
Click the image to open in full size.

SYNOPSIS (According to Dramawiki)
An ordinary college student, Lee Seol, finds out she's a princess. The grandson of Daehan Group, Park Hae Young, is put in charge of educating Seol on proper etiquette. However, Hae Young is put in a precarious situation when he finds himself drawn to Seol, the girl who will take away his inheritance if the monarchy is restored.

REVIEW
To be fair, the synopsis leaves a lot of unsaid about this drama. If you think its your typical love story between 3rd Generation Chaebol (term used to refer to a conglomerate owned usually by a single family) and a free spirited girl then you're in for a shocker. The twist is that she's the reason his family can roll in piles of money.
So Let's start from the beginning. Park Hae Young serves his country as a diplomatic officer but is also the heir to the prestigious and wealthy Daehan group, for the essence of time I shall shorten his name as it was in the drama, Mr.P. Lee Seol is the adopted daughter of Kim Da Bok who raised her with love after she lost her childhood memories following a traumatic incident. Lee Soon Jae, Mr.P's grandfather tasks him to find Lee Seol which he does subsequently leading to the grand announcement that all assets of the Daehan group(which came from the treasury of the state during the war) shall be turned over to the reinstatement of the Royal family since the daughter and princess of the last emperor has been found. From then on, its more of a political vs. naivety battle with people trying to take advantage of Lee Seol's innocence and putting a stop to the Lee Soon Jae's plans by all means (it was heartbreaking to see Lee Seol crying which happened an awful lot)
Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.

Without revealing too many layers, I will steer clear of the politics of the drama since that is the core premise and stay on the romance track. Its highlighted right from the get-go that Lee Seol has a crush on her professor played by the boyishly charming Ryu Su Yeong with her only dream being to sweep him off his feet by following him to Egypt on an excavation. But he still holds onto his first love Oh Yoon Joo who is close to the Daehan family and later becomes Lee Seol's arch nemesis in the royal family reinstatement. Kim Tae Hee oozed a natural aura with grace,almost like she was destined to be a princess...sometimes (most of the time on my part) though you wanted to slap her character for her naivety which dragged on a tad bit too much but all in all, she's the injured bird you want to protect which gave great use for the lead male protagonist Mr.P played by Song Seung Hun (whose acting has gotten better with time) to step in as her knight. Park Ye Jin who played Oh Yoon Joo also shone as Lee Seol's rival, and main foe.I believe If someone gives you the achieved reaction that their character is meant to bring out then that's excellence and she did it her part as resident sour puss so well that even I found it hard to peel the layers to Park Ye Jin the gentle lady she is.
With support from veteran and new faces, the character chemistry was cute in its own way and had an adequate amount of back stories to sustain interest and leave you content like the cat and mouse side crush of Lee Geon, the royal chef and Shin Mi So, Lee Seol's lady in waiting.

OVERALL
Rating:A 6.5. Mainly because it kicked off well only to land a few steps away from an anti-climax.
Vouch:The entire series was anticipated but ended being so-so. The pacing became slower forcing me to wonder whether the entire production team became exhausted by the final episodes. Its worth watching for many females but doesn't make you reach for your wallet eagerly to buy the DVD.
Pros:They tried not to cling so much to the romantic comedy and injected realism in the scenarios with the politics about the possible resurrection of a royal family in a complete democratic setting. The four lead actors had somewhat good chemistry however the two protagonists had the best especially during their comedic rants. Good cinematography with the costume design being very detailed when it came to the traditional aspect of things. Very nice mellow Soundtrack.
Cons:The first episodes were worth a series of laughs but once the revelation and political mash up came in, the pacing became slower not to mention grimmer and dragged on way too much. In tune, Lee Seol as a character did not seem to develop from her free spirited nature to a mature woman within the time you expect her to making you want to scream at the screen,"God! Open your eyes,woman!"

For more stills, head over to the link [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

incantations....flirtations....perhaps vibrations to follow?

Last edited by Nygus; 08-29-2011 at 02:51 PM..
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Dishonored
KatieMH25 Related to Mr. Good-guy

Send a message via MSN to KatieMH25
Default 03-23-2012, 10:34 PM

Yeah, ive seen this drama and I agree with you on what you said. I liked the beginning when they first met (i thought it was ironic she was playing a princess for the public n it turned out she was one lol) and I thought the middle was ok but the ending wasn't very satisfactory. Still I thought it was a lot better than Goong (Princess Hours)

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] <----- My Manga List
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] <------ My Anime List
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Chūnin
Son Gohan newfag

Default 02-04-2013, 06:33 PM

nice Review