Arcade
Go Back   Anime Take Forums > Anime > Anime Reviews
Reload this Page Kuroshitsuji
Anime Reviews Quality anime reviews here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
Jōnin
ardeeuchiha People like me. :D

Default 'Kuroshitsuji' Anime Review - 01-23-2013, 12:57 PM

Click the image to open in full size.

”Yes, My Lord!”

Anime Information
Anime Production : A-1 Pictures
Director: Toshiya Shinohara
Episodes: 36 episodes + 7 OVAs (Total 43 episodes)
Genres: Action, Comedy, Demons, Fantasy, Shounen, Supernatural
Duration: 24 min. per episode
Original Run: 2 October 2008 – 25 May 2009

Synopsis
Just a stone's throw away from London lies the manor house of the illustrious Phantomhive earldom and its young master, Ciel Phantomhive. On the night of Ciel Phantomhive's tenth birthday, a fire engulfed his manor make him loses everything he once held near and dear to a vicious plot. The boy was missing for a month before returning with a mysterious black clad butler, Sebastian. The servant is actually a demon that had entered into a contract with Ciel, promising the boy to help him achieve revenge on the arsonists in exchange for his soul. Sebastian Michaelis, an exceptionally loyal butler, is ever at Ciel's side, ready to carry out his young master's wishes. Ciel Phantomhive is now the head of the Phantomhive corporation, handling all business affairs as well as the underground work for the Queen of England. As the Queen's guard dog and standing at the top of the British underworld, the young boy must face many difficulties along the way. Black Butler is set in the Victorian era, and carries with it the typical eloquence of its time.

~Review~

This is really bring back a memories!! A request of StephyNekosan.

Storyline: [9,5/10]
The story focus on a young man who is driven by revenge named Ciel Phantomhive and his demonic Butler, Sebastian Michaelis. As stated above, we know that the storyline was unique in its own way. There's just so much depth, and it's so cerebral. I would say that this anime goes on par with Death Note. This is a thinking anime that touches on a ton of dark and deep issues same as Death Note. There are a lot of plot twists and you'll also need to be paying close attention to all of it if you want to get a hang on the story. For me, that's one of the best aspects of this story is those little plot twists. You’ll never know what you'll going to see when watching something like this.
The beginning arc is by far one of the best I've seen. It got a bit floppy around the middle, leaving some unanswered questions and vague hints. I was left with some unanswered questions regarding some of the details here. But for me, this is THE interesting parts. Makes you wondering and left with a question is somehow for me is a MUST in this kind of genre anime. The series could definitely maximise its potential if not for the somewhat weaker storyline in the middle but then again, this is merely my opinion.

Art: [10/10]
Art and animation was very beautiful and fluid. The animation flows so gorgeously in this anime. From the fight scenes to humorous antics to zany parties to heart-wrenching death scenes. Grand manors and clothing were all intricately designed and even in the few action scenes A-1 Pictures still had animation kept up.

Everything is very gothic usually with night-settings, religion being brought in and of course, the clothes. I don't see that a lot in anime and found it very appropriate for this title. If the characters were experiencing a dark and horrific scene, shadows and reds played big parts. If they were experiencing light-hearted birthday parties or servant antics, colors were bright, vibrant, and day-filled. Besides just the lighting, the art conveyed the atmosphere so much. It almost seemed to reflect character emotions and fates/destinies as well as set the mood for the anime. You will not be disappointed here!

Sound: [9/10]
The OP and ED were very well done, both musically and animated-wise. Every single piece of music adds to the atmosphere of this anime and leaves a person breathless. Most anime usually does this thing where in the middle of the series they change the opening song and have a whole new animation to it. With Kuroshitsuji they keep the same song but switch around the verses used but have a whole new animation to it. The opening and ending themes fit the anime to a tee; the 2nd ending, Lacrimosa by Kalafina, especially fits the ominous ending the anime is barreling towards when this ending comes in. I personally liked the 2nd ending song the most. It was very befitting of Kuroshitsuji as the darkish and mysterious feel gothic anime. As an anime set in the high class 1800s, the production company rightfully uses dark gospel choruses to jazzy themes. This is the crowning glory in my opinion.

Character: [9/10]
To me the characters were mostly all lovable, even Ciel was, though at times he was an annoying little brat. Every character had the "right" voice, as in the one that suited them the most in my opinion. I was extremely glad that Ciel didn't have the typical "little boy" girly voice, because it would probably made me enjoy his character a lot less. As for Sebastian, he essentially a ‘perfect’ being with zero flaws, devilishly good looks (no pun intended) and abilities to do the impossible he contains no realism in him, more like a fantasy or ideal of ‘the perfect man’. But there is an almost witty aspect to the butler, as each episode displays his tendency to be mischievous.

Everyone is fleshed out to some degree with emotional back stories and plot twists. There were some characters who I thought I had pegged when something radical happens and their intents and motivations turn in a completely different direction. There were a lot where it came to character development. You can see the difference from the beginning and toward the end of the show. Their emotional dilemmas are not portayed as an obstruction, but as a way to help the characters grow. There were so many hidden depths to most of these characters that absolutely no one seems two-dimensional. Character development is amazing. I only wish that there had been equal attention to all characters.

Enjoyment: [10/10]
I thoroughly enjoyed this title, unanswered questions and all. My mind can find connections between points where there may be no connection and so I can answer those questions in my own little mind. The most enjoyable part of this anime was the London/Victorian age setting. I was actually quite impressed with how well they displayed and used London and its history, like how they made Bethnal Green the base where all the drug dealers were from or the fact that there used to be fairs on the Thames during the winter when the water turned to ice.

It was a beautiful and haunting ride that took me on an emotional rollercoaster and through a thorough mind-wringing. There was so much content here, from plot to wacky humor. The best one is Sebastian’s “Yes, My Lord” - makes me smile every time. The setting practically made this anime; I mean if you replaced the setting to a modern time, different place this anime atmosphere would have immediately fall to pieces.

Overall: [10/10]
I think I pretty much summed it up in the enjoyment section. Everything just came together beautifully and created an anime that has made it to my favorites and re-watchable list. I absolutely adore it and wish there was more!! This one satisfied me, and left me completely wanting more. Kuroshitsuji had deepness, psychological thinking, demons and angels, life and death, money and culture, smugness, lust and girls and blood. I think its great. Everything coordinates so well, no matter how odd some things and/or characters are. Absolutely a "must-watch" anime. Period.

Personal message and opinion:
It's very hard for me to come by an anime I truly enjoy (Picky?! Well, I am.) and I had my doubts about Kuroshitsuji at first. But I definitely don't regret watching it. Although I wouldn’t necessarily say it put the ‘shit’ in ‘Kuroshitsuji’ neither would I say this is a spectacular watch. I have had many unanswered questions formed in my mind and quite a few qualms about it. Overall, if you like anime which are a bit abstract and gothic, you'll most likely enjoy it. Absolutely BEAUTIFUL. I highly doubt you will be disappointed in it.

Any comments really appreciated. For now, I'll take any requests about anime reviews. Just visit my profile and drop me a comment if there are anime you want to review. Don't forget to *hit* karma button, okay! ^^
"Everyone have their own wonderful destiny and life just like in Anime and Manga. You just have to find one!"
( Click to show/hide )

Last edited by ardeeuchiha; 04-15-2013 at 03:04 AM..
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
OBAKEMONO!!
TheChaos0 Related to Mr. Good-guy

Send a message via MSN to TheChaos0
Default 02-02-2013, 09:30 PM

I need to watch this... I need my fix of Victorianisk setting. (Pandora Hearts why..why...oh well at least I have the manga)

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

-- Philip K. Dick
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Chūnin
Son Gohan newfag

Default 02-04-2013, 05:37 PM

nice Review
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Jōnin
ardeeuchiha People like me. :D

Default 02-05-2013, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son Gohan View Post
nice Review
Thank you...

Any comments really appreciated. For now, I'll take any requests about anime reviews. Just visit my profile and drop me a comment if there are anime you want to review. Don't forget to *hit* karma button, okay! ^^
"Everyone have their own wonderful destiny and life just like in Anime and Manga. You just have to find one!"
( Click to show/hide )

Tags
anime reviews, demons, fantasy, shounen, supernatural

« Zetman | Jormungand »