Arcade
Go Back   Anime Take Forums > Anime > Anime Reviews
Reload this Page Rainbow: Nisha Rokubou no Shichinin
Anime Reviews Quality anime reviews here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
Giga Drill Breaker
Shimus_Darkraven Related to Mr. Good-guy

Location: Drinking sake casually while strolling from rooftop to rooftop in Seireitei
Cool Rainbow: Nisha Rokubou no Shichinin - 06-28-2011, 09:10 AM

Click the image to open in full size.
The seven colors of the rainbows, prisoners and brothers..

Genres: Drama, Historical, Realistic, Seinen

Rating: 9.75/10

Number of Episodes: 26 Episodes ~22 Minutes/Per

In Rainbow, we're introduced to a bunch of prisoners being transferred to the Shonen Reformatory, a juvenile rehabilitation camp not unlike a hardcore prison. The time is the 1950's, when Japan is still vulnerable and poverty-stricken after the American's victory and atomic bombings. Due to varying reasons explained in the show, they land in prison. However, what awaits them inside the prison is the very pit of hell itself. Struggling for daily survival, they grow bonded to one another. At the head of their group is "An-Chan" who happens to be their sempai in the jail system. With An-Chan watching out for them, can they survive this ghoulish nightmare and escape with their sanity intact?

The show also focuses on life after their prison phase as well, which leads to a very excellently made drama, probably one of the best I've ever had the pleasure of watching. This story is compelling and feels flawlessly pulled off. I had to literally pull myself away from watching it. I rate this plot a perfect 10/10.

"Anchan" or "Bro" for short. He is just that, a Bro beyond compare.

First off, I'll discuss the original soundtrack. The music in the show is absolutely amazing. Everything fits so very perfectly. The music harmonizes with the dramatic scenes, easily swaying my emotions. I had thought myself very cold to my emotions, but when listening to this music and witnessing the powerful scenes that occur in the show, even I was moved to tears at a couple points. Songs like [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] are completely GAR and badass when they play. Everyone's individual themes are quite amazing, as well. Background music-wise, songs like [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] is absolutely heart-rending and so uplifting at the same time. Another perfect example of this [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]. Lilting background tunes also like the similarly titled [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] are so powerful when they play. Regardless to say the music was absolutely masterful and rates very easily a heartwarming 10/10.

Secondly, I'll discuss the animation. The show being recent of course helps matters in terms of it, but Madhouse is the studio responsible and I feel this anime is one of their crown jewels. The animation is realistically down and gritty, while still maintaining a distinct animation feel to it. More than the characters though, is the scenery, backgrounds, and the general time setting the story occurs in. They animated everything perfectly, just as I would have envisioned it during those days. They also intermittently throw in animated photo frames where the picture goes to a perfectly drawn manga-esque photo frame. They use this style to punctuate and drive home certain things happening in the show. It makes the impact all that much better. I can easily rate this a "Madhouse" crown jewel, at more-than-solid 9.5/10

Last, but not definitely nowhere near least is voice acting. This show was cram-packed with fantastic voice actors who put everything they could into their roles and I think that drove the show forward just as much as plot, animation, and music ever could. From the very recongizable Romi Park (Ed, Fullmetal Alchemist) as Turtle, to Rikiya Koyama who played Anchan (his roles being Coyote Stark from Bleach and Kiritsugu Emiya from the Fate/Stay Night Universe). Scam, or Ryuji, was Keiji Fujiwara or Ladd Russo in Baccano! and Maes Hughes from Fullmetal Alchemist. Soldier was Takaya Kuroda, or Darcia from Wolf's Rain and Simon Brezhnev from Durarara!!. On the other side of the fence, the bad guys had decent voice overs as well. Ishihara was Kouji Ishii, his roles being Bertuccio in Gankutsuou and Lord Montague in Romeo X Juliet. I could go on and on, but the roles they play are absolutely splendid. Another effortless 9.5/10.

Writer's notes and summary: This is probably one of the only shows aside from shows that meant to be tearjerkers that have made me cry in more than one spot. Sometimes it was out of grief, and other times because reunions touched my heart. I used to think I was never moved by such emotions, but how they're portrayed in this show are beyond unbelievable. This is quite possibly THE best Drama I've ever seen. I would be hard pressed to rate ANYTHING above this show. It had the perfect mix of everything in it - darkness, human nature, psychological problems, the horror of real life - it spares no expense and that is what makes this a phenomenal show in my opinion. If you're looking for something darker, aimed at a mature audience that accurately depicts how life would have been back then, this is the best of the recommendations I can issue to you. I told myself watching the first bit of the show, that if it did not change by the end I'd definitely give this a high rating - and I wasn't let down, which is a rarity. I also have to say the ending is absolutely 100% satisfactory with how I viewed the show. Everything just fell perfectly in to place. This is probably studio Madhouse's best work in my opinion, and it's extremely underrated from what I've heard. This is going on to my top 5. Anyways, I hope you'll enjoy this as much as I did. I know if I could erase my memory, I'd watch this again and get hooked all the same.

Format Watched In: standard AVI. I regret not watching this higher quality and probably will torrent a higher quality immediately.

Languages Watched In: Japanese with English Subtitles

• [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Last edited by Shimus_Darkraven; 06-28-2011 at 05:44 PM..
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
ヽ(ー`)┌
jaks Related to Mr. Good-guy

Send a message via Yahoo to jaks
Default 06-28-2011, 10:16 AM

absolutely , agreed with all of ur points i would give 10/10 if not for its length ( they tried to squeeze 25 volumes of manga into 26 episodes , sad i know ) but this series seriously ranks very high in the list of awesome psychological and realistic anime a, definite recommendation

oh and about HQ shimus , the best sub group for this is Frostii , but they did 960 x540 , its quite good , otherwise u could always go for HS 720p

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Chūnin
Shreef_1990 newfag

Default 06-28-2011, 11:21 AM

nice review thanks
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Donor
crypted newfag

Send a message via MSN to crypted Send a message via Skype™ to crypted
Default 06-28-2011, 02:44 PM

I think i have 720p AFFTW subs of all the eps. but anyway.
Awesome series, definitely one of my favourites, if not, my favourite! A must watch for all people who like a deep anime, or just want a little bit of a change.

I WILL PUT A SIGNATURE HERE...
EVENTUALLY...
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Dishonored
xRyStaRx newfag

Default 06-28-2011, 04:18 PM

Sounds good to me, thanks for review. Going to add this to my list.

Start Playing League Of Legends for free: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Unleashing Hatred
Zakness People like me. :D

Send a message via MSN to Zakness Send a message via Yahoo to Zakness
Default 06-28-2011, 09:57 PM

Another awesome series. Excellent review on it. Every episode never got me bored.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Chūnin
Zarquon Bad person

Send a message via MSN to Zarquon
Default 06-29-2011, 05:43 PM

Another gem of seinen anime by Madhouse. Loved the characters and the realistic setting. Starts out bleak and depressing, but in the end friendship trumps all. I liked the suspense during the prison arc a lot.

Megumi Hayashibara (Ayanami Rei, among others) did a phenomenal job as narrator.

For some reason not that many people picked this up while it was airing.

Tags
anchan = superbro, depressing, rainbows ftw, yet heartwarming