Go Back   Anime Take Forums > Anime > Anime Discussion
Reload this Page Best unknown anime series
Anime Discussion General discussion related to anime

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
Jōnin
777chris777 newfag

Default Best unknown anime series - 05-03-2009, 06:53 AM

I couldn't think of a better title, if I think of one later and can edit it I will.

The purpose of this thread is to discuss series that you've watched and enjoyed that you think many others would enjoy, but haven't seen. I'm not talking about mainstream or well known series like Naruto, Bleach, Haruhi or Death Note.. I'm talking about those series that you feel are under appreciated, unknown (hidden gems so to speak), and you generally don't see or haven't seen getting discussed around the place. That's also what would make this thread vary from the recommendations thread, which I saw contained many mainstream/well known ones.

-------------------------------------------

To start off with I'll go with a series I haven't seen discussed around the place much, but I thought was a perfect example of what an ecchi/comedy (mostly comedy, the ecchi is generally for comedic purposes too) type series should be, and puts many other more well-known series to shame. Highly recommended on my behalf.

Click the image to open in full size.

Kenkō Zenrakei Suieibu Umishō (Umisho for short)

Plot (taken from wikipedia)

Within the Kanagawa prefecture lies the seaside city of Umineko. There, Okiura Kaname, 2nd year high school student, attends Umineko Shōgyō High School (Umineko Commercial High School), or Umisho for short. He is also the manager of the Umisho's swim team though he himself doesn't know how to swim. In fact, he is afraid of the water stemming from an incident which occurred some years ago. While he was at the beach, he had nearly drowned when a 'mermaid' pulled him under the water. He joined the school's swimming club in order to learn how to swim, but the club is filled with weirdos, which doesn't teach him swimming.

One day, a floating house arrives at the shores of Umisho bearing two persons. One of these is a cheerful, sunny, happy-go-lucky girl named Ninagawa Amuro, a transfer student to Umisho, and the other is her father. Her incredible swimming speed makes her an instant hit with the swimming club, but Okimura is surprised, as she reminds him of the mermaid he saw only once in his early childhood. After her floating house is destroyed during a storm she moves to Kaname's house.

Update: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Last edited by 777chris777; 05-05-2009 at 12:01 AM..
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
I Fix Bitches
Gamer_144 newfag

Default 05-03-2009, 08:06 AM

Lol i remember finding this, found it interesting and nice but didnt have a romance side to it so i didnt bother watching past the 1st episode, but it was indeed a good anime

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Dishonored
Vorrid newfag

Default 05-03-2009, 08:42 AM

This one is with superpowers, though there is a pretty good story behind them.

Darker than Black: Kuro no Keiyakusha (the black contractor)

Ten years ago, an inscrutable and abnormal territory known as Hell's Gate appeared in Tokyo, altering the sky and wreaking havoc on the landscape. The heavenly bodies disappeared, replaced by false stars. During this time, people who possess various special abilities emerged. Kept secret from the masses, these individuals, known as Contractors, are able to murder in cold blood. Various nations and organizations around the world use Contractors as spies and assassins, often resulting in violent battles for information. Each fake star has a corresponding Contractor, and they vibrate when their Contractor's power is being used. As such, Contractors are usually identified by their star's Messier catalogue number. However, their abilities are gained at the cost of their humanity. They are implied to lack human emotions which includes no aversions to murder, and they are regarded as extremely rational and logical in their decision making. Contractors are thus named because of their need to always complete a remuneration or payment each time their power is used (ex. eating flowers, breaking fingers, drinking blood). It is not entirely clear what happens to one if he or she fails to complete the remuneration. Contractors are described as being psychologically compelled to complete their remunerative task.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Starlight Breaker
razgriz_07 newfag

Default 05-03-2009, 08:50 AM

Darker Than Black??

nice anime...hope there will be 2nd season...

( Click to show/hide )
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Jōnin
giascle newfag

Default 05-03-2009, 08:58 AM

Higurashi and Baccano, if you can handle violence. They're my favorite anime of all time.

what is this i dont even
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Starlight Breaker
razgriz_07 newfag

Default 05-03-2009, 09:00 AM

i like violence and gore.....

( Click to show/hide )
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
State Alchemist
Retrorock newfag

Send a message via MSN to Retrorock
Default 05-03-2009, 09:05 AM

Disgaea, the anime. And I guess Basquash will be one of these too in the near future. A lot of my anime watching friends absolutely refuse to watch it when they heard it involves mecha and basketball, but it's actually very nice

CATGIRL FLORA !!!!!Click the image to open in full size.
It seems I am a lolicon at heart too
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Soul Eater
danko newfag

Send a message via Skype™ to danko
Default 05-03-2009, 09:23 AM

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]? Not sure if its popular...

Thanks Dura-dearest for spoiler sig!
Thanks Joss for the cute ava and Kobato sig!

( Click to show/hide )
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Space Cowboy
Joss Related to Mr. Good-guy

Send a message via Skype™ to Joss
Default 05-03-2009, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by razgriz_07 View Post
Darker Than Black??

nice anime...hope there will be 2nd season...
There are rumors that they are working 2nd season Thumbs up

Asatte no Houkou
plot in spoiler (from wikipedia)
( Click to show/hide )
Asatte no Hōkō follows the lives of Karada Iokawa, a young girl who is set to join junior high school after summer is over, and Shōko Nogami, a young woman who has just returned from studying abroad, who also happens to be the former girlfriend of Karada's older brother. The day Shōko returns, she is dragged by Karada to the beach with her brother and a couple of their friends since she used to know Karada's brother Hiro several years before. After becoming irritated with Hiro for leaving her alone in the United States, she purposefully tells Karada that her ribbons are childish. This upset her greatly because she doesn't like to be treated as a child. Later that same day, Karada is found by Shōko praying at a shrine, wishing to become older. Amazingly, Karada's wish becomes true and she instantly transforms into a young woman. Incidentally, Shōko then has her adulthood taken away from her and she reverts back to about eleven years old.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Jōnin
777chris777 newfag

Default 05-03-2009, 09:37 AM

Looking good so far^^ I've seen all except Baccano, Asatte no Houkou and Disgaea (I heard it may be somewhat similar to the series below in this post). Guess I'll look into them. :X

@giascle you might enjoy [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] when it comes out.

Time for my next series.

This one is possibly more well known (and also on this site), but certainly less well known than many other lesser series and certainly worth watching.

Macademi Wasshoi!

(From wikipedia)

Genres: Fantasy, comedy

Magician's Academy revolves around Takuto Hasegawa, who attends a magic academy that is not marked on any map. During a summoning spell exam, he accidentally creates a girl named Tanarot, who happends to hold enough magical power to destroy his country, but fortunately Tanarot professes undying loyalty to her "creator."

The description they give is very vague. Hmm. How should I describe this.

Magical school, robots, coplay, otaku, cat-maid, miko, s&m, macho, loli, angels, demons, parodies and much more all in a colourful comedy series. I loved watching it, and would recommend it to anyone.

Last edited by 777chris777; 05-03-2009 at 09:43 AM..
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Shi No Tenshi
King Drahcir newfag

Default 05-03-2009, 10:00 AM

hmm lets see unknown series that are good.

since most of the newbs here are only familar with newer anime id say Ranma 1/2 for dem.

Then theres Aim for the top and Aim for the Top 2

Arjuna is alright.

irresponsible captain tyler is amongst my favorites.

then of course theres twelve kingdoms for the newbies to anime

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Jōnin
777chris777 newfag

Default 05-03-2009, 10:11 AM

@drahcir Been meaning to watch ranma 1/2 for a while. Also lupin 3 come to think of it. I guess I've been distracted since so many new anime have been released over the last few years.

Aim for the top aka gunbuster also looked interesting, but unfortunately I never got round to it. Guess I'll move that further up in my to watch list.

Twelve Kingdoms is pretty good, I'll agree with ya there.

Haven't heard of Arjuna or Irresponsible Captain Tyler before, but heck why not, guess I'll look into them. ^^

Thanks.
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
Dragon Slayer
Hirohata newfag

Default 05-03-2009, 10:13 AM

Shinkyoku Soukai no Polyphonica. So underated by the public, only one new group is subbing the 2nd season. I'm having to resort to RAWs, which I can understand less than 60% due to the uncommon terms they use.

"IE is that program you use to download Firefox when you get a new computer."
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
Dishonored
animeexcite newfag

Default 05-03-2009, 10:19 AM

Darker than black is a nice anime... hmmm does anyone have heard of Seto_no_Hanayome... try it.. it is a nice comedy anime ^_^
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
Jōnin
777chris777 newfag

Default 05-03-2009, 10:40 AM

I've seen polyphonica around and more than once been tempted to check it out, but I guess the fact that there was no hype that I've seen is part of what put me off. Guess I'll check it out if some people think it's worthwhile. Thanks.

As for darker than black and seto no hanayome, seen both series and yeah both are definitely good series, and I would recommend them to anybody who hasn't seen them. Personally I would've considered both well known, but maybe it's just me. >.<
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
Chūnin
Volture newfag

Send a message via MSN to Volture
Default 05-03-2009, 10:43 AM

Hikaru no Go

( Click to show/hide )
The same basic storyline is followed by the manga and anime, with a few small changes between the versions. While exploring his grandfather's shed, Hikaru stumbles across a Go board haunted by the spirit of Fujiwara-no-Sai, a fictional Go player from the Heian era. Sai wishes to play Go again, having not been able to since the late Edo period, when his ghost appeared to Honinbō Shūsaku, an actual Go player of that period. Sai's greatest desire is to attain the Kami-no-Itte (神の一手) – "Divine Move", or the "Hand of God" – a perfect game. Because Hikaru is apparently the only person who can perceive him, Sai inhabits a part of Hikaru's mind as a separate personality, coexisting, although not always comfortably, with the child.

Urged by Sai, Hikaru begins playing Go despite an initial lack of interest in the game. He begins by mimicking the moves Sai dictates to him, but Sai tells him to try to understand each move. In a Go salon, Hikaru defeats Akira Toya twice, a boy his age who plays Go at professional level, by following Sai's instruction. Akira subsequently begins a quest to discover the source of Hikaru's strength, an obsession which will come to dominate his life.

Hikaru becomes intrigued by the great dedication of Akira and Sai to the game and decides to start playing solely on his own. He is a complete novice at first, but has some unique abilities to his advantage; for instance, once he has a basic understanding of Go, he can reconstruct a game play by play from memory. Through training at Go clubs, study groups, and practice games with Sai, he manages to become an insei and later a pro, meeting various dedicated Go players of different ages and styles along the way. While Hikaru is at this point not yet up to the level of Akira, he demonstrates a natural talent for the game and remains determined to prove his own abilities to Akira, Sai, and himself.
  (#17 (permalink)) Old
Starlight Breaker
zeramoth newfag

Default 05-03-2009, 11:22 AM

Pokemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by evereternal7 View Post
If I ever have to choose a person whose music I had to listen for the rest of my life and nothing else, then it would be zeramoth.
  (#18 (permalink)) Old
Soul Eater
danko newfag

Default 05-03-2009, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeramoth View Post
Pokemon
dont think u can refer to this one as unknown... lol

( Click to show/hide )
  (#19 (permalink)) Old
Bitch, I got style!
Duratrix Related to Mr. Good-guy

Default 05-03-2009, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeramoth View Post
Pokemon
Wow that's the greatest Best unknown anime I've ever heard of!! LOL

Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien (aka Rumbling Hearts)
Dennou Coil
Texhnolyze

I'll give some info about these anime in a sec, but I'm busy right now so you'll have to wait.

(#20 (permalink)) Old
Soul Eater
danko newfag

Default 05-03-2009, 11:43 AM

Dennou Coil... started downloading that but stopped when DB discontinued sub

( Click to show/hide )

Tags
best unknown anime, great anime